Headquarters History and Tour

History and Tour

The Fraternity Headquarters hosts one of the foremost collections of Delta Upsilon artifacts within its historical museum and archives. Many of the items found at the Fraternity Headquarters include retired or donated memorabilia from alumni, chapters or family members.
Past awards and correspondence, dormant chapter roll book and rosters, membership records and publications are all just part of this collection. For more information regarding our headquarters or if you are seeking information regarding artifact donation, please contact us at history@deltau.org

History of the Fraternity Headquarters
The idea of a central business office for Delta Upsilon started to be discussed seriously in the 1880's and was formally proposed at the 1882 Convention at Michigan. Convention asked that the headquarters be established in New York City, but it was not until 1883 that the first office of the fraternity was established in Room 7 of the building at 842 Broadway. 

The physical location of the headquarters moved from time to time as more space was required. In 1920, the offices were located at 10 W. 23rd Street in New York City where they remained for 11 years, before being moved again in 1931 to 285 Madison Avenue. The Fraternity finally settled at 271 Madison Avenue in 1940.

The headquarters remained at 271 Madison in space on the 8th floor of that building until the relocation to temporary quarters in Indianapolis in 1969. The Fraternity had taken advantage of an opportunity to be a part of a Greek Headquarters "community" that was being built in Indianapolis. The move afforded the Fraternity many benefits, the main benefit being that the headquarters building would me more centrally located to its chapters. The Fraternity occupied the current headquarters building in December of 1970 upon the building's completion. On Saturday, April 17, 1971, the current Headquarters building was officially dedicated.

The DU Headquarters stands as a living memorial to Brother Lester E. Cox, Pennsylvania 1898. Brother Cox retained a life-long interest in Delta Upsilon and the activities of the Fraternity. When he died in 1938, he left a bequest in excess of $175,000 to the Fraternity, to be held for the benefit of his sister, Mrs. Alice Lynch, during her lifetime. When Mrs. Lynch died in 1964, shortly before her 93rd birthday, the bequest was turned over to the Fraternity to help build the headquarters building. The headquarters building went through various remodeling projects since the building's beginning here in Indianapolis in order to update the interior furnishings and design.

Recent Renovations
In February of 2001, the headquarters was moved to temporary office space nearby so that the building could undergo a complete renovation. The building was gutted entirely, leaving only the four outer walls intact. The building's interior was redesigned to better accommodate the staff, to help improve the operations of the Fraternity, and to provide more space for displaying the Fraternity's archival collection. On June 22, 2001, the Fraternity moved back to its headquarters building upon the completion of the renovation. The renovation provided the headquarters with more office space, more efficient field staff workspace, additional conference space, updated interior design and furnishings, and a new exterior look.

Butler Memorial Headquarters Dedication
On November 4, 2010, the Fraternity honored the memory and service of former Executive Director, Wilford A. Butler, Western Michigan '61 with a ceremony at the at the headquarters. Brother Butler was executive director of Delta Upsilon Fraternity from 1962 to 1986. He died in December 2009 after a short illness. Wilford A. Butler Education Chair was announced at this time, to ensure that generations of DU leaders benefit from world-class training. The chair is held by Delta Upsilon's senior director of educational programs.

Headquarters Purpose
The headquarters building houses both the Fraternity offices, and the offices of the Delta Upsilon Educational Foundation. It is the center for all activities of the Fraternity and the Foundation, and serves its chapters and members in all areas of chapter services, alumni services, leadership development and programming, and educational support.

The staff of the Fraternity and the Foundation are loyal individuals who are dedicated to the betterment of the Delta Upsilon. They stand willing and ready to help with any questions or concerns. Members should be encouraged to use the IHQ as a resource and take advantage of the many things that IHQ can provide its members.