- "A man has to live with himself, and he should see to it that he always has good company."
- "Delta Upsilon stamps a man nine times out of ten as an earnest man. This is the spirit of Delta Upsilon."
- "Fortunate is the young man who either in family or college relations finds himself constrained by some worthy ideal which makes him feel he will be untrue to his former associations unless he measures up to the talents that have been given to him. So every Delta Upsilon man has received a benediction. Let nothing rob us of the spirit of fraternity; let nothing destroy the bond of Delta Upsilon."
- "When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free."
- "Each man begins with his own world to conquer, and his education is the measure of his conquest."
Charles F. Kettering, Ohio State 1904
- "There will always be a frontier where there is an open mind and a willing hand."
- "High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation."
- "If you want to kill any idea in the world, get a committee working on it."
- "A research problem is not solved by apparatus; it is solved in a man's head."
- "It doesn't matter if you try and try and try again, and fail. It does matter if you try and fail, and fail to try again."
- "It is not what we know that is important, it is what we do not know."
- "The world hates change, yet it is the only thing that has brought progress."
- "With willing hands and open minds, the future will be greater than the most fantastic story you can write."
- "Believe and act as if it were impossible to fail."
- "A man must have a certain amount of intelligent ignorance to get anywhere with progressive things."
- "Nothing ever built arose to touch the skies unless some man dreamed that it should, some man believed that it could, and some man willed that it must."
- "I think the greatest education in the world is the education, which helps one to be able to do the right things at the time it has to be done."
- "We must look forward to the future as that is where most of us will be spending the rest of our lives."
Charles G. Dawes, Marietta 1884
- "Mediocrity requires aloofness to preserve its dignity."
David Starr Jordan, Cornell 1872
- "Wisdom is knowing what to do next, virtue is doing it."
George W. Goethals, Manhattan 1877
- "Faith in the ability of a leader is of slight service unless it be united with faith in his justice."
Tommy R. Franks, Texas 1967
- "Every structure on this planet stands on a foundation. So does a man, and justice is a good foundation for all of us."
- "Nothing is more importation to America today than building young people to serve her tomorrow."
- "We learn a lot more by listening than we do by talking."
Harry Emerson Fosdick, Colgate 1900
- "It is by acts and not ideas that people live."
- "Don't simply retire from something; have something to retire to."
- "If wrinkles must be written upon our brows, let them not be written upon our heart. The spirit should never grow old."
- "He who chooses the beginning of the road chooses the place it leads to. It is the means that determine the end."
Hedley Donovan, Minnesota '34
- "For many of us, our fraternity was one of the most valuable parts of college life. It was a place where we made some of our first and best adult friendships; where we had an opportunity to know the world and ourselves a little better."
Heywood Broun, Swarthmore '40
- "Brotherhood is not just a Bible word. Out of comradeship can come and will come the happy life for all."
James A. Garfield, Williams 1856
- "I was while in college an active opponent of college secret societies. I believed firmly then, as now, that no sufficient reason has ever been given for breaking up the unity and friendship of college life, by maintaining secret societies, and that their influence is exceedingly unfavorable to the best interests of colleges."
- "Next in importance to freedom and justice is popular education, without which neither freedom nor justice can be permanently maintained."
- "I mean to make myself a man, and if I succeed in that, I shall succeed in everything else."
- "Most human organizations that fall short of their goals do so not because of stupidity or faulty doctrines, but because of internal decay and rigidfication. They grow stiff in the joints. They get in a rut. They go to seed."
- "Poverty is uncomfortable; but nine times out of ten the best thing that can happen to a young man is to be tossed overboard and compelled to sink or swim."
- "The spirit should never grow old."
- "Things don't turn up in this world unless somebody turns them up."
- "It is the high privilege and sacred duty of those now living to education their successors and fit them, by intelligence and virtue, for the inheritance, which awaits them."
James B. Conant, Harvard '14
- "Behold the turtle, he only makes progress when he sticks his neck out."
Joseph P. Kennedy, Harvard '12
- "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."
Linus C. Pauling, Oregon State '22
- "Satisfaction of one's curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life."
- "The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas."
Lou Holtz, Kent State '58
- "It's a fine thing to have ability, but the ability to discover ability in others is the true test."
- "If you're bored with life - you don't get up every morning with a burning desire to do things - you don't have enough goals."
- "Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it."
- "No one has ever drowned in sweat."
- "Show me someone who has done something worthwhile, and I'll show you someone who has overcome adversity."
- "The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."
- "When all is said and done, more is said than done."
- "It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it."
- "How you respond to the challenge in the second half will determine what you become after the game, whether you are a winner or a loser."
- "Don't be a spectator, don't let life pass you by."
- "A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song."
- "Don't tell your problems to people: eighty percent don't care; and the other twenty percent are glad you have them."
- "Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated."
- "Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."
- "You might not be able to out think, out market or outspend your competition, but you can outwork them."
- "Adversity is another way to measure the greatness of individuals. I never had a crisis that didn't make me stronger."
- "If you burn your neighbor's house down, it doesn't make your house look any better."
Peter Ueberroth, San Jose '59
- "The integrity of the game is everything."
Ray K. Zarvell, Bradley '68
- "There is no investment you can make that will pay you so well as the effort to scatter brotherhood and goodwill throughout Delta Upsilon."
Stephen Crane, Lafayette & Syracuse 1894
- "Every sin is the result of collaboration."
- "You cannot choose your battlefield, God does that for you; but you can plant a standard where a standard never flew."
William Bross, Williams 1838
- "So long as there are wrongs to be set right, and college students to be stimulated and prepared for the higher and nobler duties of life, (Delta Upsilon) ought to have a permanent and vigorous existence."
- "There is no such thing as defeat except when it comes from within. As long as a person doesn't admit he is defeated, he is not defeated - he's just a little behind and isn't through fighting."
Lester B. Pearson, Toronto 1919
- "I do not know that I have done very much myself to promote fraternity between nations but I do know that there can be no more important purpose for any man's activity or interests."
- "The circumstances of fraternity life gave me a wonderful opportunity for exchanging and sharpening viewpoints; for stimulating interest and curiosity in a variety of subjects. These are essential to true education."