director of Development
Position Title: Director of Development
Reports to: Associate Executive Director
Location: 8705 Founders Rd., Indianapolis, IN 46268
The Delta Upsilon Educational Foundation (DUEF) is a 501(c)(3) organization responsible for securing the financial resources that advance the mission of Delta Upsilon International Fraternity. Founded in 1834, Delta Upsilon’s mission is to build better men for a global society through Friendship, Character, Culture and Justice.
The DUEF is seeking a full-time Director of Development to join our collaborative, fun, and hard-working Foundation team. The DUEF staff secures the charitable resources needed to fund the life-changing educational programs, scholarships, and initiatives of the Fraternity. The Director of Development will work at the International Headquarters and will interact with both in-person and remote staff members.
Director of Development Responsibilities
- Partnering with the Executive Director, Associate Executive Director and Director of Advancement in executing the DUEF’s cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, recognition and administrative strategies.
- Serving as the lead staff member for the direct mail program, gift acknowledgements, stewardship program, scholarship program, brick program, named fund program and database/reporting management.
- Actively supporting and/or participating in other donor acquisition and engagement projects including Founders Day of Giving, the Oak Circle Undergraduate Giving Program, staff/volunteer training, DUEF publications (Annual Report, website, etc.), alumni events and the annual Leadership Institute/Convention.
- Developing working relationships with key stakeholders that foster a spirit of giving and build donor confidence in the work of DUEF. This includes offering timely and donor-centered service as the first line of contact for all constituents who contact the International Headquarters regarding the DUEF.
- Actively participating in department meetings, staff meetings and retreats by offering insight and suggestions that advance the work of the DUEF and build a staff culture of trust.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Relationship Building – Committed to cultivating relationships and providing donor-centered customer service to build and strengthen a thriving donor base.
- Project Management – Self-starter with the ability to work independently and execute multiple projects within established deadlines.
- Collaborative – Works well with others and eager to support and partner with other departments while maintaining a positive and willing attitude.
- Communication Skills – Exhibits strong written and oral communication skills with staff and constituents, which includes communicating a compelling case for support for the DUEF.
- Detail Oriented – Thorough, consistent and accurate whether executing small administrative tasks, managing the Raiser’s Edge database, or leading a complex development strategy.
- Technical Skills – Possess excellent computer skills using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.). Experience with Raiser’s Edge database is preferred.
- Passion for Learning – Seeks opportunities to learn about the fraternity/sorority fundraising industry and nonprofit trends that will improve the knowledge and focus of the DUEF team.
The staff at the Delta Upsilon International Headquarters in Indianapolis is led by one chief executive over both organizations. Below is an overview of the staffing structure for the Delta Upsilon Educational Foundation:
1 Fraternity and Foundation Executive Director – (50% Foundation Time)
1 Associate Executive Director (100% Foundation Time)
1 Director of Advancement (100% Foundation Time)
1 Director of Development (100% Foundation Time)
Note: Other Fraternity staff members (including a Communication Department and an Accountant) assist the Educational Foundation in executing our annual development strategies as needed.
Other Delta Upsilon Membership Details and Fundraising Notables
- DU has 85,000 living alumni who are located mostly throughout the United States.
- The unrestricted Annual Loyalty Fund receives $450,000 annually from 1,300 donors.
- Roughly $1.5 million is received by the DUEF to all funds each year.