SENIOR DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Delta Upsilon Educational Foundation seeks an experienced fundraising professional to serve as its Senior Director of Development, providing strategic and operational leadership for its philanthropic initiatives. The Senior Director of Development will join the Fraternity’s Executive Team at an exciting time, as the Fraternity recently executed an ambitious strategic plan and is in the process of launching a new one. In the past few years, the Fraternity has reached record membership levels and implemented award-winning educational programs.
The Senior Director will partner with Justin Kirk, Executive Director, and work closely with senior staff and the Foundation’s Board of Trustees to increase philanthropic support and sustain it at a level that will enable the Fraternity to continue to achieve its mission and vision. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Senior Director of Development will provide leadership and strategic oversight for the Foundation’s comprehensive fund development program in an effort to continue to build annual support and cultivate, solicit and steward transformational gifts to further secure the Fraternity’s future.
The Senior Director is responsible for leading the Fraternity’s annual, capital and endowment fund development efforts to secure financial and in-kind support from key donors and prospects. The position will have oversight responsibility of the fund development function and will provide leadership in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of high-end major gifts.
The following are the specific responsibilities, activities and duties of the position:
- Spend approximately 70% of time cultivating high-end individual prospects by managing a portfolio of 60+ prospects and donors, with primary responsibility for cultivating, soliciting and stewarding these relationships using a high level of visibility.
- Create, implement and refine a Foundation-wide action plan for identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major donors and prospects that allows the Development Team to actively achieve the strategic initiatives set forth in annual, capital and endowment campaigns, along with any informal campaign plans.
- Provide strong leadership to Development Team staff, ensuring individual responsibilities are well-defined and communicated while encouraging a team environment.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, work closely with the Board of Trustees and Executive Team to identify funding priorities to plan and implement comprehensive campaign strategies and accomplish team goals. Establish a communications plan to keep the Executive Team and Board of Trustees current on fundraising strategies, activity and results.
- Create, implement, and refine audience development plans for acquiring, renewing and upgrading donors and prospects with and through the Fraternity’s customer relationship management (CRM) tools.
- In collaboration with the Director of Communications, oversee the development of a comprehensive portfolio of communication materials for donor identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship support.
- Conduct business-related travel, both locally and nationally, as needed.
Desired Skills and Experience
The Senior Director of Development will be a bold thinker and a strategic, yet “hands-on” executor, who will establish and lead a best-in-class development program. He or she will be results-oriented with exceptional strengths in communication and relationship-building. The Senior Director of Development will have significant and proven leadership and management experience in a complex organization with multiple internal and external constituencies.
The ideal candidate will have the following personal competencies and characteristics:
Expertise in Development: The Senior Director of Development will be an experienced leader in the field of development with a measurable track record of success. He or she will have demonstrated expertise in the cultivation, solicitation and closing of high-end five- and six-figure gifts tied to a multi-year fundraising strategy, with particular focus on campaigns. To succeed with her/his responsibilities, the candidate will flourish in a diverse and high-achieving environment and will be energized by the prospect of leading the Development Team, designing and implementing processes, and integrating best practices. He or she will have a strong data and analysis orientation and a proven ability to use metrics to drive development decisions and achieve strategic objectives.
Relationship-building and Communication: The Senior Director of Development will be skilled at building and sustaining excellent relationships at multiple levels and with varied constituencies including individuals, key volunteers, administrative colleagues, donors and volunteers. He or she will be a confident and articulate communicator with the ability to work fluidly across all levels. The Senior Director of Development will have an inspirational approach to building collaboration and buy-in, as well as generating support from stakeholders. He or she will be a charismatic, high-energy leader who can talk with anyone; successfully convey the Fraternity’s objectives; and express the Foundation’s mission and fundraising goals with clarity, passion and persuasion. As a proactive communicator, he or she will engage with the Executive Director, Trustees and the Executive Team regularly for collaborative planning and implementation.
Executing for Results: This leader will be skilled at upholding the Fraternity’s reputation for high performance and accountability for results. He or she will effectively lead performance-driven staff and volunteer teams that will combine innovation and fresh ideas alongside quality execution. He or she will be committed to development leadership with a broad knowledge of institutional advancement, major gift identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
Passion for the Mission: The Senior Director of Development will have a passion for the Fraternity’s mission of Building Better Men. He or she will work to continually innovate, helping the Fraternity expand its brand and reach. A desire to be a part of the continued articulation and growth of the Fraternity’s mission and goals is imperative. He or she will have a personal style that is polished, collaborative and decisive, as well as a sense of humor and perspective in his/her work.
A bachelor’s degree in fund development, business, education or related field is required; master’s degree is strongly preferred. The Senior Director of Development will have at least five years of fundraising/advancement/sales experience with at least three years of management experience.
Interested candidates should send their cover letter, resume and three references to Justin Kirk at email@example.com.
To download a PDF of the position description, click here.