Oct. 25, 2021 - Halloween is this weekend, and Delta Upsilon wants to make sure everyone has a happy and safe Spooky Season. From pumpkin carving to COVID-19 precautions and making sure your costume choices don't come back to haunt you later, here are some tips and resources to use this Halloween.
First, what is Halloween without a few jack-o'-lanterns? The Fraternity has three different DU-themed stencils you can download for all your pumpkin carving needs. Make sure to tag us in your DU pumpkin photos on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter at @deltaupsilon.
Halloween and COVID-19
Don't make Halloween extra scary by bringing COVID-19 into the mix. This year, it is still important to make sure you celebrate in a safe way. Celebrating the holiday is not worth the risk of contracting or spreading COVID-19.
- Follow safe gathering protocols.
- As with other times throughout the pandemic, avoid hosting large gatherings where people cannot safely social distance.
- Follow all CDC guidelines; DU policies; and campus, local and state/province guidelines regarding gatherings, masks and more.
- Make sure to view DU's Loss Prevention Policies and the Substance-free Housing Policy before planning any event.
- Carving or decorating pumpkins with members of your household and displaying them
- Carving or decorating pumpkins outside, at a safe distance, with neighbors or friends
- Decorating your house, apartment or living space
- Having a virtual Halloween costume contest
- Having a Halloween movie night with people you live with (or via a Netflix watch party)
- Avoid direct contact with trick-or-treaters.
- Give out treats outdoors, if possible.
- Set up a station with individually bagged treats for kids to take.
- Wash your hands before handling treats.
- Wear PPE.
Halloween costumes are always a fun part of the holiday. Remember that your costume says a lot about you and the organization you represent. It is our responsibility to make sure our costumes are appropriate and respectful. Avoid racially and culturally insensitive words and themes.
Remember: Diffuse Liberal Culture. Don't Mock It.