"To me, the meaning of DU is to have a constant support network of brothers who are always looking to push each other and better each other. It’s encouraging your brothers to go study more, apply for that internship they really want, or asking them to volunteer with you—to build better men. Alcohol doesn’t play a role in what it means to be a DU."
Delta Upsilon is dedicated to providing safe, supportive environments in which we build better men. We strive to make our chapters and campus communities stronger.
About Substance-free Housing
All Delta Upsilon chapter and associate chapter facilities are to be substance-free unless the chapter has received a Substance-free Housing Waiver. The goal of the Substance-free Housing Policy is to create a healthy atmosphere for Building Better Men.
The Delta Upsilon International Fraternity Board of Directors passed the Substance-free Housing Policy in May 2018. (Read the announcement letter.) There was a phased approach to full policy implementation to allow chapters time to transition. In June 2019, the Board announced an additional phase and the waiver program. (Read the June 2019 letter.) As of August 2020, all chapters are to implement the full Substance-free Housing Policy unless they have received the waiver. The waiver program has been extended through the end of the 2023-2024 for chapters that qualify and apply for a waiver. One qualification is that they must have had a waiver during the 2021-2022 academic year.
Delta Upsilon is pleased to join other fraternities that are transitioning to substance-free housing including Beta Theta Pi, Sigma Phi Epsilon, and FarmHouse.
Substance-free Housing Policy
All chapters without a waiver should follow these policy items at all times:
- No alcohol or substances are allowed in common spaces, private bedrooms, or any location on the chapter's property (parking lots, front or back yards, etc), regardless of a member's age.
- Alcohol can only be provided and served by a licensed, third-party vendor to those of legal drinking age at an off-site location. This means not at the chapter house or any chapter related facility (e.g. annex, parking lot, backyard, etc.).
- Alumni will have the opportunity to host up to six pre-approved events in common areas of the chapter facility per year with licensed third-party alcohol vendors or following the Fraternity’s BYOB guidelines. All events must be in compliance with the university and Fraternity’s Loss Prevention policies. (See more about alumni event registration below.)
Substance-free Housing Overview Substance-free Housing FAQ
If your chapter has a Substance-free Housing Waiver, click here.
SUBSTANCE-FREE HOUSING RESOURCES
DELTA UPSILON LOSS PREVENTION POLICIES
DELTA UPSILON CONSTITUTION & BY-LAWS
ABV RESOURCE FOR DETERMINING WHAT IS HARD ALCOHOL
SAMPLE SUBSTANCE-FREE HOUSING LEASE
*In your app store, you can search "HM Event Planner" to download a free app version of the event planning guide.
Regardless of whether or not a chapter as a Substance-free Housing Waiver, alumni have the opportunity to host up to six pre-approved events in common areas of the chapter facility per year with licensed third-party alcohol vendors or following the Fraternity’s BYOB guidelines. All events must be in compliance with the university and Fraternity’s Loss Prevention policies.
All alumni events must be registered and approved by the International Fraternity in advance of the event.
- Complete the Alumni Event Registration Form.
- Make sure to view the Alumni Event Registration Procedures.
- NOTE: Due to COVID-19, check with your institution regarding event guidelines before planning any alumni event, including tailgates, Homecoming activities, Founders Day celebrations, etc. Many campuses may have limitations on gathering sizes or prohibitions on such gatherings. Any event allowed must follow policy as well as campus/local guidelines for COVID-19. For the health and safety of our brothers, it is recommended that alumni events be held off chapter property for the year.
Repurposing and Renovating Former Social Event Spaces
Many chapters have started to reimagine and renovate previously used social spaces in their facilities. This can include new study spaces, recreation spaces, workout/gym facilities and more.
Delta Upsilon can assist with this process by utilizing your Chapter Education Accounts (CEA) for educational spaces or Chapter Housing Accounts (CHA) for additional housing needs. For more information, please visit our Chapter Grants and Campaigns page.
If you have questions about Delta Upsilon's substance-free housing policy or would like to discuss how the implementation of this policy will affect your chapter specifically, we are here to help. Delta Upsilon has created a new staff position designed specifically to oversee the implementation of this policy and help develop enhanced alcohol education programming. Please contact our Senior Director of Chapter Development Dominic Greene, Oregon '99, at email@example.com.
We are DU!
Delta Upsilon is the world’s oldest non-secret, non-hazing fraternity. With the mission of Building Better Men, our aim is to provide a modern fraternity experience for today’s college student that equips him to be successful in all areas of life.Mission & Vision